Really want to stand out and get ahead? Got a couple of hours! Sit down and write a booklet relevant to your industry with helpful information AND then give it away. Everyone loves a freebie so give away something that demonstrates your expertise. In my case, for example, I designed, wrote and distributed a free booklet on how to do a reference check correctly, called Don't Hire a Liar. The booklet subtly points out the
benefits of using a professional - like myself - to do their hiring. The booklet hot-links to a supplemental software program for reference checking which my firm sells. You could embed a hot link to your web site, resume or bio.
- Give the booklet away everywhere you can.
- If you send a printed version to someone make sure you indicate where they can get extra copies for their colleagues.
- Ideally give a web site address people can pass on to others.
- Advertise it on your web site and through those newsgroups frequented that hiring mangers in your target market and their recruiters frequent.
- If you print your own business cards, put the URL for link to the booklet on the back.