Everyone's face lights up when they see one of those little envelopes that are peculiar to "thank you" note cards - those tiny little 4 x 4 white envelopes with barely enough room to write a name and address on the front and a return address on the back.
Fold your resume and cover letter together carefully until they fit inside and then mail.
- Don't use labels, address each one by hand
- Use this technique around any holiday - Christmas, New Year's, Fourth of July, etc.
- Use a small size tasteful stamp.
- If you feel you can afford it, use a stamp with your picture on it. In Canada you can put any picture you wish on a stamp. Details of their Picture Postage program can be found here: http://www.canadapost.ca
- To really get noticed, use a stamp with their logo on it and send them the rest.